May 13, 2008

The $ingaporean?

I was surfing AsiaOne today, and came across a letter from a Doctor on the standards of emergency services in Singapore. The letter reminds the SCDF to learn from the case of the infant who died because an ambulance refused for 15 mins to crash through a jammed carpark barrier.

This is really a sad and shocking case and I can't help blogging about it again. When I read about this piece of news sometime ago, I was really appalled by how 'law-abiding' some Singaporeans are! When I read the letter today, I am even more indignant that the ambulance driver had refused to go through the barrier because the crew were not sure whether they will be covered for the damage?! I cannot believe it! If that 15 mins can save that baby's life, I'm sure many members of the public will voluntarily donate to pay for the damaged carpark barrier!!

Then on AsiaOne, I saw another article about why Singaporeans are losing their mojo.
Online, many people cited that the Singapore cost of living is too high and increase in price of rice, oil, etc... and that's the reason for not having sex? Come on lar... increase in costs is a worldwide phenomenon. Singapore is not the only country affected.

Being here in the U.S., food prices are also increasing, and sometimes, it's even on a day-to-day basis that prices rise and drop. But you don't really hear people complaining about it.

Are we Singaporeans taking the dollars and cents too hard? I don't know, all the time in S'pore. I hear people complaining about how expensive things are, money not enough, etc. And yet, we are one of the few countries in the world whereby majority of the people are in the middle income group. Why are we still complaining so much?!

No comments: