October 09, 2008

Living and not just having a long holiday

The past 2 weeks have been very challenging for all of us.

Ariel fell sick, and my classes started. On paper, our schedule looks very achievable, with me having lessons on Mon, Wed and Fri., with a night class on Wed. But when it comes to actual execution, it's not as simple as it seems. Coupled with the fact that Ariel was on antibiotics, and suffered one of the side effects - diarrhea. This week has just been crazy, as her diaper overspill so often, and we had to do laundry almost all the time.

I feel exhausted and many times, did ask myself whether is it really worth it to be going through all this? Putting Ariel in childcare, in exchange of her getting sick; me going to school, resulting in a more exhausted me? I had thoughts of withdrawing Ariel from childcare, me forgetting about going school again, etc. After all, isn't life easier if we could pretend that this is just a super-long holiday?

However, when I think back about the experiences Ariel gains in going to childcare, the fact that she no longer cries at drop-offs, and me experiencing how a Western classroom operates, and what the American education is like, I think perhaps it IS better to be living a life, having fond memories. The alternative of a long holiday, though relaxing, will still burst when we are back in Singapore... reality then could perhaps hit even harder.

No comments: