April 03, 2009

A very heartwrenching video....

There was a video of a maid kicking and abusing a child posted on AsiaOne/Stomp just 2 days ago. It was a very heart-wrenching video seeing how the child is repeatedly kicked by a maid and at the end of it, still had to obediently follow the maid into the kitchen after the kicking episode. The video really breaks my heart and I even had a nightmare that night. Could never imagine it happening to any of my kids.

Upon seeing the video, honestly, I am once again very fearful of hiring a maid. Since I got pregnant, we have talked about it, and have agreed that we would probably really need a maid when our 2nd child arrive. But upon seeing the video, I'm more convinced than ever that hiring a maid will definitely be a short-term thing, just to tide us over the first year. Nothing beats me taking care of the children on my own.

Nonetheless, I do wonder whether will we be, like many others, become overly dependent on the maid? After all, it's always easier to have someone do the household chores for you; it's always easier to have someone mend the kids while you surf the Net or watch your favourite TV programme. After all, just leaving the maid at home with the kids for a couple of hours won't kill?

To me, having a maid is a temptation, and it's just so easy for us to fall into this trap, especially in a stressful society like Singapore. Over here in the U.S., I have known of many parents who survived taking care of many children on their own. Although the quality of life is much better here, and working hours are shorter, I must constantly remind myself that it is not impossible. I have read on forums about many dual-income families who managed to survive without a maid as well. It just needs a bit more hard work and planning.

I am blogging this, as a reminder to myself, not to ever fall into the 'I need a maid' trap...

No comments: