March 04, 2010

The Great Expectations

Wow... it's been so many months since I wrote.

I have been so terribly busy with the 2 kids, even though I'm a stay-home mom with a domestic helper. Seemingly a taitai life, it's actually far from it. Looking back now, having just 1 kid seems like a breeze even though a few years ago, I probably thought that giving birth and raising a child is one of the greatest feat in my life.

By nature, I am a person who is super disciplined and loves routine. In fact, I love my life to be in order, with everything planned out in advance. I do not mind doing the same things each and every day as long as everything goes on smoothly and there is no hiccups. Therefore, the 'rule of thumb' which I go by, being a mom of 2, is really to live by the schedule.

Unfortunately, living by a schedule does not seem to go well with a 3 year old. Have recently discovered that as much as Ariel used to love routine, nowadays, she seems to have become more attention-seeking, probably due to the fact that there's a new sibling. There are times when she says she doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to wash her hands, doesn't want to sleep, etc. And she's definitely much more vocal about it these days.

Being a mom who is extremely uptight about schedule and having to meet the needs of both kids, I really felt like tearing my hair out.

Now, as I feel that I'm losing my patience at her, and saying that she's spoilt, maybe I ought to ask myself, "Am I expecting too much out of my 3 year-old? After all, what do they really understand about schedule anyway? They do not even know how to read the time yet?" Perhaps I need to cut my 3 year-old some slack. Instead of keep telling her that she is a jie jie now, needs to do this, do that, perhaps I need to understand that she's still a child after all, and perhaps not so ready to take up so much responsibilities.

I do hope Ariel will grow up soon especially in terms of maturity, but as a mom, I think I need to give her some time to grow.

No comments: