June 03, 2008

What kind of parent do I want to be?

Having recently encountered and heard about the behaviour of many spoilt brats and overindulgent parents, it really makes me think that parents play such an important role in the character development of a child.

No doubt some people change eventually and learn things through the hard way, but certain character traits just stick for the rest of their lives. I have many flaws in my character which I do hope Ariel does not inherit, but in case she does, I do hope to be able to help her overcome them.

So, I thought I should just blog this, so that it will serve as a constant reminder to myself.

I want to be a parent who:

1. Accept my child as who he/she is
2. Help my child to understand that he/she needs to be responsible for his/her actions
3. Help my child to have confidence in himself/herself but not be arrogant
4. Help my child to have a caring and compassionate heart for people
5. Teach my child to acknowledge his/her emotions and learn to deal with them
6. Help my child establish values and principles for himself/herself in life
7. Does not need her child to be brilliant in studies but to enjoy learning
8. Teach my child to be shrewd but not cunning
9. Gives support to my child but not be over-indulging
10. Will always be fair and just to every child

The list may go on for sure as when Ariel grows older, but I would believe that some of the above needs to be inculcated from young...

No comments: