July 07, 2010

Touched by an angel (Ariel)

I know how, in my last post, I lamented about being a housewife in a modernized city like Singapore.

Today, my perspective changed. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am without a domestic helper for 4 weeks now. It has been a very tiring 4 weeks. Being without a helper, I find myself chasing after a schedule. There are certain chores i need to get done, while the kids are taking their nap. Chores like doing the dishes and mopping the floor, for instance.

However, it turns out that just this week alone, I have 2 days whereby things just don't go on schedule!! I wanted to tear my hair out when the kids decide not to take their naps at their regular times. On one day, it was Ainsley, the baby; and another day, it was Ariel.

I almost went mad. My life HAVE to run on a schedule. The kids NEED to nap so that I can FINISH the chores!

But what changed my perspective (on things like scheduling and such) is really Ariel, my 3 year-old. It broke my heart today when she waited patiently for me to finish all my chores, including mopping the floor, just for me to read her a book. All the time she was awake, I could sense that she was trying to tell me something, but in my own 'I need to run on a schedule' mindset, I shoo-ed her off to bed and told her not to step out of the bedroom, or even get down from the bed.

It was only after I finished what I needed to do (and that was 2 hours later), I asked her if she would like me to read her a book. She smiled broadly and said, "Yes!" After I read her the book, she told me, "Mommy, you can go out now, I can sleep on my own now."

Her words totally broke my heart!!! She had waited 2 hours for me just to read her a book!! This caused me to reaffirm my role as a mom and my choice as a stay-home-mom. I know there are thousands of children out there who wait patiently for their moms to come home from work, just to give them a hug. Ariel waited 2 hours for me today. Some of these children wait 8 hours or even more for their parents. I know for sure how I have waited till I was too tired and fell asleep, before my parents would come home.


While quality time counts, quantity counts even more! I have decided: The last thing I want is to make my children wait endlessly for me. Though I can be materialistic at times and long to embrace the materialistic world, I know that nothing compares to being able to be with my children, to read them a book at any time of the day, to shower them with endless kisses and hugs anytime. I would give anything in the world, for this... I am a SAHM and I shall be a happy SAHM :)

No comments: