June 22, 2008

Early Learning for kids - Acts of a Kiasu mom?


I was involved in some short online conversation with a friend recently and the topic of Early Learning for kids is brought up in the conversation.

It's funny nowadays, some people like to equate moms who adopt early learning for kids as 'Kiasu moms who pressurize their kids, not giving kids their childhood, etc.'. Yet, the number of mommies who eagerly send their kids to Gymboree, Glen Doman, Shichida, Julia Gabriels and other enrichment classes, are on the rise. Some of these moms bashfully admit that they are Kiasu, while others would say that since their kids enjoy it, why not?

As we're overseas, unfortunately in our little city, we do not have Shichida, Glen Doman or Gymboree classes to go to. Nonetheless, I try my best to teach Ariel at home, be it flashing flashcards in front of her when she was younger or now, teaching her the ABCs, and reading to her.

Would I say, "I'm a Kiasu mom"? No, i do not think so, simply because I believe that educating a child is one of the fundamental responsibility of a parent. The fundamental responsibilities of parents include providing a secure environment for their child, initiating a secure relationship with their child, and nurturing their child. I think that education falls under nurturing. Education does not drop from the sky, and if you do not educate, who will? Wait for the teacher in school?

What then constitutes a Kiasu parent? I would think that a Kiasu parent is one who blindly follows the trend of what everyone else is doing. He/She does not know the child well, and try to pressurize her child to do stuff that are not age-appropriate and not liked by the child. He/She will also constantly compare his/her child to other kids and expect the child to be equal, if not better than the rest. Many of these parents, most often than not, also do not have a great relationship with their kids.

I do not think sending kids to enrichment classes or adopting early learning are acts of a Kiasu mom. I think these labels are slabbed on by others who do not see the benefits of early learning, or perhaps are simply in self-denial.

Parenting is about being at ease with yourself and your kid. I do not send Ariel to any enrichment classes coz they are not available here, and even in Singapore, perhaps I won't too, coz the fees for these classes are really quite high. But I am at ease, and definitely will not say that moms who do that are Kiasu moms.

No comments: